Updated: Jun 17
Author: DC Angus Poh
Lower back and neck pain is the most prevalent and costly health problem in Malaysia. It is rated as the ninth and fifth most common complaint in public and private primary healthcare clinics, respectively.
Many patients with lower back pain and neck pain will then seek treatment from various types of sources, such as pain medication, massage, and self-learn stretching from the internet. Some patient experiences dangerous treatment from uncertified practitioner or masseuse which worsen their symptoms. Incorrect exercises and stretches learned from the internet may increase the pain.
Combined Chiropractic and Physiotherapy care reduces lower back and neck pain efficiently!
A randomized trial of chiropractic manipulation and mobilization for patients with neck pain compared the relative effectiveness of cervical spine manipulation and mobilization for neck pain shows both is as effective in reducing neck pain and related disability among chiropractic patients. However, manipulation may be more effective than mobilization for specific clinical indications. However, chiropractic manipulation together with patients engaging in stretching, flexibility, and strengthening exercises provides a better outcome. 
Another research done on evidence-based guidelines for the chiropractic treatment of adults with neck pain showed chiropractic care improves outcomes for the treatment of acute and chronic neck pain. Increased benefit has been shown in several instances where a multimodal approach to neck pain has been used. 
A similar study was done on chiropractic manipulation for neck-low back pain and showed significant reductions in pain (Oswestry questionnaire and neck disability index) as well as visual-analog scale. 
Combined chiropractic interventions slightly improved pain and disability in the short-term pain in the medium-term for acute and subacute low back pain. 
Chiropractic management of low back pain and low back-related leg complaints showed the use of exercise in conjunction with manipulation is likely to speed and improve outcomes as well as minimize episodic recurrence. 
What Doctor of Chiropractics and Physiotherapists will do?
While most mechanical lower back pain and neck pain has a complicated and multiple causes, various and confusing sign and symptoms, a Doctor of Chiropractic will first acquire a complete medical history and perform a comprehensive physical examination to determine the root cause of the condition.
Physical examination includes:
Spine and Joint Inspection
Range of Motion Test
Muscle strength and functional test
Spinal Subluxation Test
Complete neurological test
Specific chiropractic adjustments will only be given after performing all the tests and determining the diagnosis of the condition. Through this thorough examination, doctors are able to determine the specific subluxation of the spine and perform a specific Chiropractic Adjustment to restore body function and reduce the pain.
The spines need to be aligned, the muscles need to be balanced
The aligned spine must have a balanced muscle to maintain its alignment.
After the adjustment, our physiotherapist will provide various treatments in order to balance and strengthen your muscle. This help to improve the functionality of our body and resolved the pain more efficiently.
Treatment provided by Physiotherapist include:
Customize rehabilitation programme
Specific deep tissue therapy
Instrument Assist Soft Tissue Mobilisation
Dry Needling Therapy
High Power Laser Therapy
One full session of therapy can reduce pain from 20% up to 90% depending on the chronicity and the severity of the condition and pain.
Combined chiropractic and physiotherapy can efficiently reduce lower back pain and neck pain in the most natural way with no medication, no surgery, or injection needed.
Lower back pain and neck pain can be very annoying and most of the time it affects our daily living and lifestyle. Untreated lower back pain and neck pain can lead to more chronic conditions and degeneration of the spine.
Find your nearest Chiro + Physio center to resolve your pain
1. Hurwitz EL, Morgenstern H, Harber P, Kominski GF, Yu F, Adams AH. A randomized trial of chiropractic manipulation and mobilization for patients with neck pain: clinical outcomes from the UCLA neck-pain study. American Journal of Public Health. 2002 Oct;92(10):1634-41.
2. Bryans R, Decina P, Descarreaux M, Duranleau M, Marcoux H, Potter B, Ruegg RP, Shaw L, Watkin R, White E. Evidence-based guidelines for the chiropractic treatment of adults with neck pain. Journal of manipulative and physiological therapeutics. 2014 Jan 1;37(1):42-63.
3. Skargren EI, Öberg BE, Carlsson PG, Gade M. Cost and effectiveness analysis of chiropractic and physiotherapy treatment for low back and neck pain: six-month follow-up. Spine. 1997 Sep 15;22(18):2167-77.
4. Walker BF, French SD, Grant W, Green S. Combined chiropractic interventions for low‐back pain. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2010(4).
5. Lawrence DJ, Meeker W, Branson R, Bronfort G, Cates JR, Haas M, Haneline M, Micozzi M, Updyke W, Mootz R, Triano JJ. Chiropractic management of low back pain and low back-related leg complaints: a literature synthesis. Journal of manipulative and physiological therapeutics. 2008 Nov 1;31(9):659-74.
DC Angus Poh
Doctor of Chiropractic
Board Certified Naturopathic Doctor
Certified KinesioTaping Practitioner
Certified Dry Needling Practitioner